Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blueberry Picking-Written July, 2008

My five-year-old son, Raymond, and I went blueberry picking yesterday. I've spent most of my life in New York State, for the most part, in "farm country." I wanted to do something with my son this summer that neither of us had ever done, in an effort to be on the same playing field of discovery. A few days ago I found my answer-blueberry picking. To tell you the truth, I'm not a farmer, and not much of a country gal despite my surroundings. Even after spending over an hour together at the "Blueberry Farm," (a.k.a. "U-Pick"-you get what you get around these parts, elegance or marketing not required), I still have no idea what we picked from. Was it a bush? Was it a tree? Was it a mini-tree? I really have no clue!

What I DO know is that is was damn HOT out there at oh, say, 2:45, on a humid, summer day. There were two other "crazy" ladies out there picking too. Driving up to the field, way out in a place called Big Flats, NY, neither of us could fathom what waited for us up ahead. We crept out of our steamy car with containers in hand, both beaming (yet melting) with excitement. Hands free picking w/our containers tied around our waists. The, what we called "blueberry bushes" were simply adorable. My son was dead on with his comment, "Mom, look those blueberry bushes are soooo cute." Lately, everything to our son is "sooo cute." This time, I had to agree.
These "cute" little bushes, some the height of my knees to looming tall over my 5 foot 7 frame, were just popping with teeny, "normal-sized" (vs. the super-sized market type) berries. Some were green, some were a lovely violet color, and the ones we decided to take home, traditional, beautiful, welcoming blue. My son and I agree, this is MUCH easier than apple picking!

What I truly enjoyed about the experience was the stillness. Raymond and I felt lost in the "secret paths," the rows of trees around us. We helped each other find the "ripest," "bluest" ones. Often not saying a word at all, we stood near one another discovering, feeling, enjoying the berries, the soft, satin, tiny plumps between our fingers. This was NOTHING like the raspberry picking I did with my grandmother when I was just a little older than my son. I recall that experience being thorny, full of bees, and just, well, uncomfortable. This was quiet, clean, almost effortless! The berries seemed to glide off. We lost ourselves in the sunshine, in the quiet, in the closeness of discovery, together. Side-by-side, my little boy and I shared the joy of sweating through a piece of one summer afternoon. I will never share my first experience blueberry picking with anyone else. Raymond will have shared his first blueberry picking time with me. It's a moment that I will cling to forever.

It really is a simple thing, picking berries with your kid, but to me, that moment is forever frozen in time when we left all problems aside and gathered, gratefully, the harvest around us. It was ours to enjoy, and enjoy together. I am grateful for this simple moment, and although I have no picture to share, this moment is imprinted on my heart forever.

We used to call Raymond, "Blueberry" for awhile. It's what he chose to be called. Pumpkin just didn't cut it with this kiddo. He doesn't even like blueberries as much as he used to, but he sure did enjoy the yogurt with fresh "poppers" for dessert last night, and the muffins we made for this morning's breakfast.

Someday I may write a story about this day, but for now I'm still basking in it, and ever grateful that it too has added to my serenity and the long list of most amazing moments raising my kid.

Next week, Pirate Day at the Renaissance Festival in Sterling, NY. But before that, tonight, I celebrate my seven year wedding anniversary with my own knight in shining armor, he really does look like the prince from Snow White....my Scott. Blueberry picking is awesome, but a night out with some dinner and privacy is another whole blog....Thankful, grateful...our God provides so many wonderful gifts! Right now so much is ripe and beautiful, all in His perfect time!

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."
Ecclesiastes 3:11

No comments: